Applications are now being accepted for the Virginia Teaching Scholarship Loan Program (VTSLP). The primary purpose of the Virginia Teaching Scholarship Loan Program (VTSLP) is to provide financial support to students who are preparing to teach in one of Virginia’s critical shortage teaching areas. The critical shortage teaching areas are determined annually through the Supply and Demand Survey for School Personnel, based on data received by school divisions in Virginia. Shortages in specific subject areas are derived from the top 10 academic disciplines identified by the survey as shortage fields.
2018-2019 VTSLP ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
These scholarship loans are available to teacher candidates who are/have:
- Enrolled full-time or part-time in an approved (undergraduate or graduate level) teacher education program.
- Maintained a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or its equivalent.
- Nominated for such scholarship by the institution where they are enrolled.* Undergraduates at or beyond the sophomore year in college, must have been in the top 10 percent of their high school class.*
In addition, the candidates must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in a program leading to an endorsement in a critical shortage area as established by the Board of Education [i.e., Special Education, Elementary Education (Pk-6), Middle Education (Grades 6-8), Career and Technical Education, Mathematics (Grade 6-12, including Algebra I)]; or
- Be a minority teacher candidate enrolled in any teacher endorsement area.
Teacher candidates who previously received funding through the Virginia Teaching Scholarship Loan Program are not eligible.
Download the application here. Complete applications must be submitted directly to the George Mason University College of Education and Human Development (CEHD) Student and Academic Affairs (SAA) office by 5pm, September 14, 2018. You may either drop off or mail your application to:
College of Education and Human Development (CEHD)
Student and Academic Affairs
Attn: VTLSP Scholarship
4400 University Drive, MS 4B4
Thompson Hall, Suite 2300
Fairfax, VA 22030
Incomplete applications will not be considered.